Yesterday, Donald Trump’s “100 Days Rally” was held – a sort of celebration of his success. I did not expect much substance; I expected the usual “here’s what I plan to do, and here are the records I’ve broken” event. However, instead of the usual Trump talk about future successes and records broken (although there was some of that too), what occurred was reminiscent of Russian propaganda television in Estonia about Russian elections and the regime in general.
Last night’s rally started out like any “normal” Trump event, at least as we have come to expect them. Far-right speakers roared and preached, building the crowd into a frenzy.
As many of us have come to expect from Trump’s brand of government, each speaker made some questionable statements and some exaggerations. However, when Mike Pence introduced Trump, it sounded like he was introducing the good Lord himself. And it was effective. It sounded as though everything Pence spouted about Trump was actually based in reality, and that Donald Trump himself was taking the stage after just having personally given chase to ISIS.
I understand boastful speeches and elevating language, but this was something else entirely. However, it was nothing compared to what followed.
I won’t further bore you with the fact-checking (there has been plenty done already) and I encourage to read that coverage and to do some of your own. No amount of boastful speaking or double-talk is going to change reality, but it does distract us.
So, my question is, what was the point of this rally?
It was nothing but a platform for him to spew propaganda. Just like the Russians did in Estonia.
He bashed the media, as he does daily. He took credit for imaginary achievements, as he’s been doing his whole life. He made some vague threats about China – so business as usual, right?
But what did he actually achieve with this event?
He further confirmed his message to his base. Although personally, I’m not sure why he needed to bother. Trump supporters who are going to change their minds about him simply don’t exist. Regardless of the facts, they continue to support him.
We will have to wait to see if he has further divided us as a nation.
Only around 30% of Americans voted for Trump. And as he has made crystal clear, he is only President for his supporters. The rest of us – 70% of the nation – are unrepresented by our nation’s leader. And what is worse, he doesn’t care. He also made that abundantly clear on stage last night.
If this trend continues as it has for the past 100 days, what will we be talking about in a year?
I for one would rather not see what happens if this “show” gets any “greater” and ratings boost higher. I would rather see the host replaced while this nation still has a chance to heal.
Kristjan Bauer is an Estonian-American (in that order) who was born under the Soviet occupation of Estonia and grew up in the aftermath of the imposed regime. He moved to America in 2007, and in 2011 he joined the United States Marine Corps. He was Honorably Medically Retired due to injuries in 2015. He has been married to his wife, Josie, for 9 years.